Unplug those Golf Carts!

More and more frequently we are hearing about home fires as the result of golf cart batteries.  Here are 5 Tips to help protect your home from this hazardous situation:
  1. Golf Cart batteries emit gas hydrogen while charging.  Hydrogen is a very light, odorless, colorless gas that is extremely flammable. 

  2. Always unplug your Golf Cart from the charger when you go on vacation.  Even though the chargers are designed to turn off when the batteries are fully charged, this safety mechanism can malfunction causing the battery to overcharge and catch fire.

  3. When charging your golf cart, ensure proper ventilation.  Leave that garage door open!  Hydrogen gas can seep into the home through cracks, crevices or air vents.

  4. Get a carbon monoxide detector.  A detector can help alert you if hydrogen is present.

  5. If the detector alarm sounds, evacuate the home immediately and call 9-1-1.  By the time the alarm sounds, the hydrogen levels may already be at explosive levels, so you must use EXTREME CAUTION.  Do not use your garage door opener, light switches, cell phones or anything that can cause static electricity while inside the home.
Remember to keep your Golf Cart batteries properly maintained to ensure adequate water levels, and any visible corrosion is removed.  If you do not know how to do these things, we recommend having your golf cart periodically serviced.